Best Heos 3 Black Friday and Cyber Monday Deals & Sales 2020:
Denon’s multiroom audio system also comes to hunt on Sonos lands. We are testing today the Heos 3, which tackles the Sonos Play: 3, the Harman / Kardon Omni 20 or the Samsung WAM750, to name only its main competitors. Competition is becoming more and more important in this evolving market. But by what means does the Heos 3 manage to differentiate itself from its rivals? Answer in this test.
- 1 Best Heos 3 Black Friday and Cyber Monday Deals & Sales 2020
- 1.1 1. Denon Heos 3 HS2 New Hi-Res Audio, Compact, Portable Wireless Bluetooth Speaker with Amazing Sound (Updated Version). Black, Works with Alexa
- 1.2 2. Denon HEOS 3 Wireless Speaker (White, Discontinued by Manufacturer)
- 1.3 3. Denon HEOS 1 HS2 New Hi-Res Audio, Compact, Portable Wireless Bluetooth Speaker with Amazing Sound (Updated Version), Black, works with Alexa, 5.08 x 7.44 x 5.04
- 1.4 4. Denon HEOS AMP – Wireless Amplifier for Home Theater (New Version) | High Power Rating | Make Any System Wireless. Powered Subwoofer Connection | Smart Home Automation Integration | Alexa Compatible
- 1.5 5. Denon HEOS 5 Wireless Speaker System (Series 2, White)
- 1.6 CONCLUSION
Best Heos 3 Black Friday and Cyber Monday Deals & Sales 2020
1. Denon Heos 3 HS2 New Hi-Res Audio, Compact, Portable Wireless Bluetooth Speaker with Amazing Sound (Updated Version). Black, Works with Alexa
3. Denon HEOS 1 HS2 New Hi-Res Audio, Compact, Portable Wireless Bluetooth Speaker with Amazing Sound (Updated Version), Black, works with Alexa, 5.08 x 7.44 x 5.04
4. Denon HEOS AMP – Wireless Amplifier for Home Theater (New Version) | High Power Rating | Make Any System Wireless. Powered Subwoofer Connection | Smart Home Automation Integration | Alexa Compatible
Despite its atypical shape, the Heos 3 can be placed both horizontally and vertically. This speaker incorporates on its upper part three physical buttons, with a slightly low-end appearance, allowing the volume to be adjusted or cut off.
The rest is done via the application (described in the Multimedia section). At the base of the speaker, an LED strip changes color or flickers to indicate the different states of the speaker: connection to the network, pairing, volume control, sources, update … On the front rear, there is an Ethernet port, a USB port for playing music tracks or a 3.5 mm mini-Jack port to connect it to any mobile device. Finally, a connect button allows synchronization on the Wi-Fi network.
The compatible audio formats are relatively numerous and should satisfy the greatest number: MP3, WMA, AAC, FLAC and WAV. Note that the Apple formats “FairPlay”, WMA DRM and WMA Lossless are currently not available for playback.
Another small downside, there is no Bluetooth connection allowing music playback via different media (YouTube …); too bad.
An application available on Android and iOS controls these speakers from a smartphone or tablet. However, nothing has yet been developed to control the Heos system from a Mac or Windows computer.
The “Heos” application is rather simple to use. First, we connect the speaker to his smartphone / tablet through the mini-Jack cable. Then, we follow the steps visible on its screen until the speaker is connected to the network. Finally, just add the speakers, one after the other (up to 32 speakers) and place them in the category you want (living room, bedroom …).
Once the configuration is complete, you have access to three pages: “Rooms”, “Music” and “Listening”. The first is used to select the listening area and make the pairing, EQ, balance settings. The second allows you to either access your music via on-demand music listening sites (Spotify, Deezer …), or to find a music server, USB support … When on the last page, it allows you to see the title of the song currently listening, to adjust the sound or to move from one song to another.
In use, we noticed some bugs and slight lag times between switching from one song to another. When the speakers are paired, synchronization takes place smoothly without any waiting.
To broadcast the sound, the Heos 3 relies on two broadband speakers and a bass-reflex vent . All powered by a Class D stereo amplifier.
This enclosure was designed to add sound to small rooms of around 15 to 20 m². You can of course pair it with another Heos 3 via the app to make it a real stereo system. The application then allows you to balance, or adjust the bass and treble. Let’s just hope that the sound doesn’t twist as much as the design of the speaker.
Listening, the Heos 3 offers us a little soft bass. However, the latter do not sound too “cardboard”, probably thanks to the vent of the enclosure. The whole spectrum is fairly well balanced, even if we feel that the voices are slightly highlighted. The treble also enjoys a nice balance and no sibilance is to be noted. This speaker however lacks precision and does not offer a sufficiently detailed sound, mainly on the high part of the spectrum. The Heos 3 leaves us a little on our hunger on the sound level.
The sound is powerful as a whole, but if you push it too much, distortion is felt. The width of the soundstage is rather disappointing and the directionality too important.
In the end, the Heos 3 becomes much more interesting when it is coupled to its twin, allowing to reproduce a true stereo sound. We then find a real width of scene with speakers that need to go up at lower volume, thereby limiting distortion.
- Its relatively powerful.
- Rather balanced spectrum.
- Intuitive multiroom application.
- The multiroom works well.
- Serious, lacking in responsiveness.
- Distortion at sustained volume.
- Lack of detail and precision.
- No Bluetooth.
- Difficult to use via computer.
The Heos 3 may not be the thing that got us most into a spin. Alone, it does not work miracles, but coupled with its counterpart, it is already much better. The multiroom works well and the application that controls the whole is ready. The invoice for such a product remains salty despite everything.
1. Best Denon Heos 1 Black Friday and Cyber Monday Deals & Sales 2020
2. Best Sonos Play5 II Black Friday and Cyber Monday Deals & Sales 2020
3. Best Sonos Playbase Black Friday and Cyber Monday Deals & Sales 2020