- 1 Best Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 Black Friday and Cyber Monday Deals & Sales 2021:
- 2 Best Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 Black Friday and Cyber Monday Deals & Sales 2021
- 2.1 1. Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 Founder’s Edition
- 2.2 2. MSI Gaming GeForce GTX 1660 192-Bit HDMI/DP 6GB GDRR5 HDCP Support. DirectX 12 Dual Fan VR Ready OC Graphics Card (GTX 1660 VENTUS XS 6G OC)
- 2.3 3. Gigabyte Geforce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB GDDR5 128 Bit PCI-E Graphic Card (GV-N105TD5-4GD)
- 2.4 4. EVGA GeForce GTX 1660 SC Ultra Gaming, 06G-P4-1067-KR, 6GB GDDR5, Dual Fan
- 2.5 5. EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB SC GAMING, ACX 2.0 (Single Fan), 3GB GDDR5, DX12 OSD Support (PXOC), 03G-P4-6162-KR
- 2.6 Presentation
- 2.7 Noise
- 2.8 Consumption
- 2.9 Performance in games
- 2.10 The final word
- 3 CONCLUSION
Best Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 Black Friday and Cyber Monday Deals & Sales 2021:
Initially offered in a 6 GB version, the GeForce GTX 1060 was then declined by Nvidia into a more accessible version, equipped with 3 GB of video memory. Its target remains the same: Full HD players who want to push the graphics settings to the maximum.
Best Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 Black Friday and Cyber Monday Deals & Sales 2021
2. MSI Gaming GeForce GTX 1660 192-Bit HDMI/DP 6GB GDRR5 HDCP Support. DirectX 12 Dual Fan VR Ready OC Graphics Card (GTX 1660 VENTUS XS 6G OC)
- Chipset: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660
- Boost Clock: 1830 MHz
- New NVIDIA pascal architecture delivers improved performance and power efficiency
- Classic and modern games at 1080P at 60 FPS
- Real Boost Clock: 1830 MHz; Memory Detail: 6144MB GDDR5
- Dual Fan offers higher performance cooling and much quieter acoustic noise
5. EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB SC GAMING, ACX 2.0 (Single Fan), 3GB GDDR5, DX12 OSD Support (PXOC), 03G-P4-6162-KR
- Real Base Clock: 1607 MHz Real Boost Clock: 1835 MHz; Memory Detail: 3072MB 192 bit GDDR5
- EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 - Small size, huge performance
Nvidia uses a GP106 graphics chip here (16 nm engraving by TSMC), the same reference as found on the 6 GB version of the GeForce GTX 1060 . The company nevertheless decided to use a slightly different configuration since an SM sub-block was removed. There are therefore always 4 GPC blocks, but with only 9 active SM sub-blocks out of the 10 physically present. This allows Nvidia in particular to exploit chips whose SM is not 100% functional.
This change in configuration has an impact on the number of calculation units and units dedicated to textures. This 3 GB edition thus includes respectively 1152 and 72 units against 1280 and 80 on the version with doubled memory. On the other hand, there are indeed 48 rendering units. The GPU frequency is also identical from one variant to another with 1506 MHz for the base frequency and 1708 MHz for the GPU Boost frequency.
Finally, on the memory side, the architecture does not change since there is a 192-bit bus and GDDR5 at 2 GHz. Only the quantity changes, 3 GB here, you will understand. As a result, the bandwidth remains at 192 GB / s.
We conducted our various tests on a custom MSI model, a GeForce GTX 1060 3GB Gaming X. This model knows how to take advantage of the low heat output of the chip and offers extremely quiet operation. In games, the ventilation is hardly noticeable while the fans are stopped once back on the desk. That doesn’t mean that all 3GB GTX 1060s will behave this way, and it’s likely that some single-fan models will be heard a little more.
The MSI model tested was slightly less energy-consuming than the version with 6 GB of memory, even though it is an overclocked model . In games, the card alone requires just over 110 watts, which is simply excellent. For comparison, the Radeon RX 480 raises the meter to around 165 watts, while its overclocked versions sometimes point above 180 watts.
Energy efficiency is therefore excellent. The architecture of Nvidia makes it possible to anticipate very well the previous generations, but also the competing cards of AMD.
Performance in games
We carried out two test sessions on our MSI GTX 1060 3GB Gaming X, by varying the frequency via the utility provided, Gaming App. We first activated the OC mode which allows to reach the highest frequencies – by default, it is the Gaming mode at lower frequencies which is active. The card is then given at a base GPU frequency of 1594 MHz against 1810 MHz via GPU Boost, while the memory is at 2027 MHz. In practice, the chip is stabilized at 1962 MHz, even after more than an hour of non-stop play.
We also tested the card by adjusting the GPU Boost frequency to 1708 MHz and restoring the memory to 2000 MHz. There, the frequency stabilized at 1886 MHz, which is therefore quite close to the 1835 to 1898 MHz observed on our reference GeForce GTX 1060 6 Go.
In games, the difference with the higher model is 5% on average. We therefore remain before the classic Radeon RX 480 or even before its overclocked versions . In absolute terms, this allows the card to play serenely with most of the current games in Full HD, in very high quality and with a satisfactory frame rate. On the other hand, the limitation to 3 GB of memory only can be restrictive on certain titles which activate the maximum level of details only if the card is equipped with a minimum of 4 GB of graphic memory.
The final word
In the immediate future, this 3 GB version of the GeForce GTX 1060 is interesting since it allows you to play most games with all options activated and in Full HD. The problem is that it is “only” most games, unlike the variation of 6 GB. In fact, precisely, the presence of 3 GB which does not activate the setting maximum graphics on some recent games. This is all the more a problem as these levels of settings are accessible with a correct frame rate on the 6 GB edition. The price difference with the superior model is around fifty euros (220 € against 270 €), or about 20% all the same. Opposite, the Radeon RX 480s are sold for € 250 in the 4 GB version and € 290 for the 8 GB version. If they are no longer provided in memory,
- Energetic efficiency.
- HDMI 2.0b and DP 1.4 “ready”.
- Nvidia software ecosystem.
- Some games require at least 4 GB of memory for the most advanced graphic effects.
A model gifted in games when executed in Full HD. The frame rate can then be high, even in maximum graphics modes. Unfortunately, some games require a minimum of 4 GB of memory to display the best quality. One point to consider before purchasing.
1. Best Gigabyte Aero 15 Black Friday and Cyber Monday Deals & Sales 2021
2. Best Alienware 13 Black Friday and Cyber Monday Deals & Sales 2021
3. Best Corsair Sabre Laser RGB Black Friday and Cyber Monday Deals & Sales 2021